Wednesday, July 19, 2006

nostaglia

I don't know why I thought of this story the other day - perhaps it's because I've made friends with a few of the janitors at work, but I remembered a story from college about the cleaning guy, Effrain. And I thought I would share.

It was my sophomore year, and I was living on the second floor of Sanford Hall (ahhh - Sanford, the old apartment!) and we had the nicest cleaning guy. It turned out I had a 8 or 9am class everyday - so I was always up and showering early. Our room was conveniently positioned right across from the bathroom and the kitchen. It took a few weeks for Effrain to realize that I was always up early, but he caught on. He also noticed that I would let him clean the bathroom first so that I could be the first one to use the sparkling bathroom!! It started slowly, but eventually we fell into a little system. I would wake up and crack open the door. Then I would sit and check my email or whatever and wait. When Effrain was done with my bathroom he'd knock lightly on the door (so he didn't wake up my roommate) and I'd run in to get ready! He was so sweet. Some days if he was running late he would come up and start on the second floor bathroom just for me. All year it went like this - and I was the first one to use the newly cleaned bathroom!

I can't believe I forgot about this, it seemed so important at the time!! Thanks Effrain!

No comments: