Tuesday, October 10, 2006

it never changes

I just got this email from a friend of mine at work:

you just have to be quieter i guess. which for you is probably a good idea anyway!

My parents, and any teachers from lower school who might be reading this are laughing already. You see, when I was younger I was something of a talker. I mean, I like to talk, what's wrong with that? Apparently what's wrong with that is that when you talk when someone is trying to teach a class you are being "disruptive". I think that the teaching was disruptive to my conversation, but I suppose we are splitting hairs with that, I do see that both can't happen at the same time comfortably. So, after all the years of getting in trouble for talking - comments at parent/teacher meetings, being exiled from my friends during class(this never worked, sit me next to a stranger, my worst enemy, i was a-talkin'), etc. - I tried to stop. Overcompensation ensued and middle school began with comments like "Jenni needs to participate more in class". I remember being so confused as to what they wanted me to do, until I figured out the difference between talking to my friend and answering the teachers questions. That was the key!

Apparently I am back to my old ways. For a while one of my friends at work was in the same general area as I was. People referred to us as the giggle twins, and some even went so far as to make comments that they couldn't get anything done while we were together. They were kidding, of course, but I'm sure there was a little truth in there. Well - she up and moved into an office, leaving me all alone. I've, of course, found a new giggle twin - but it's gotten MUCH better. With my new bose headphones and a subscription at emusic.com I'm all plugged in and quiet, most of the time. But apparently thats not enough...the one who sent me this email works on the floor below me.

what can I say...I'm kind of a talker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But that's what's so great about you...