Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Caution: Contents Hot

This morning I was running a few errands on my way to work, the bank, CVS, and Whole Foods. A few of my friends and I often eat lunch at Whole Foods and knowing that I was going there I had asked a friend of mine if I should pick anything up for him. He requested soup (as usual) and told me he wanted Butternut Squash, Shrimp Bisque, or Carrot soup - in that order.

I got there and had a bit of time to kill before the bank (next door) was opened, so I milled around. There was no soup out yet, it was too early, so I got myself a banana-chocolate chip muffin and went to drool on the bakery display. On my way back from the bakery I noticed they were bringing out the soups. So I waited as the man put all the bins in their place and then began putting out signs. I asked "Do you have Butternut Squash today?" He said yes, and put a ladle in the Butternut Squash soup container for me. He then said, "Careful, it's hot!"

I began to ladle the soup into my soup cup and I spilled some - all down my thumb. It was HOT. In fact, it was scalding. my thumb. And I stood there, dumbfounded, unsure of what to do. Because I don't eat butternut squash soup. But it was on my thumb, burning it, while I watched. With no other course of action, I shoved my thumb into my mouth.

I left Whole Foods with a burnt thumb, the after taste of butternut squash, and a smushed banana-chocolate chip muffin. No where to go but up!

No comments: