Sunday, August 19, 2007

if you drive out of range

One of my favorite ways to explore a new place is to just drive around. I like to get lost and find my way home, it's the best way to see where things are and how they connect. Before I left beantown Allison once credited me as knowing how to get anywhere from anywhere in the city - and she wasn't wrong. It took years to connect all the pieces, but it sure is fun to drive and get lost. Even more fun with Millie, since I can pay a little less attention to how to get back and more attention to the scenery.

I drove yesterday around this neighborhood, amazing views of hills with completely beautiful houses, and the sides and cliffs. Lots of trees, with rooftops poking out. And I tried my best to get some good pictures while only causing minimal traffic dilemmas. At one point I followed a curve in the road and saw about 6 deer (deer? deers? these are things I definitely should know) in the road. Basically just standing around, chillin'. They slowly crossed the road as I approached and stopped in someones front yard to graze. They just stayed there. So content that I wonder if they belong there. I mean, are they pets? Could people own these deer? Either way - they were so peaceful. It made me happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Technically, you're required to shoot deer if you see them anywhere in Texas. Here's the statute.

§ 83.004. ARMAMENT BY POPULACE. (a) The department shall compile and evaluate information submitted under this chapter into a report to be distributed annually to members of the legislature, the Veterans Administration, the Texas Veterans
Commission, and other veterans' groups. The report must include
statistical information on handheld and large bore weaponry and individual level compliancy with fauna elimination subsection §83.214.