Monday, September 24, 2007

like sands through the hour glass...

I had a laptop once, and I loved it. (NOTE: I tried to find a link to the blog entry of the day I had to give it up, but I couldn't find one. Some things are just too hard to write about, I guess.) I bought a new TV this weekend, and we're in love. If I'm in love with this TV, then I was perhaps an obsessed stalker of my old laptop. It was borderline pathological. I took it everywhere, bragged about it to everyone. It slept with me on my bed, Mia cuddled with it - we all cuddled together. (Check it out Allison, I betcha it still has some blueish paint on the front, from when it fell between my bed and my wall that one time!) I bought a new laptop after I got rid of the old one, and I do like it. It's shiny, and sleek, and small, and fast. It has a big drive, and a webcam, and lots of power. The new laptop is definitely pretty sexy. But, I don't really have the same clinically obsessed love for it. I've grown used to it's weight, and I like the touch-button volume controls on the front. I even have gotten accustomed to Vista. Whenever I play mp3s with Windows Media Player the song will skip for the last 5 seconds, every song, every time. So, I use iTunes now. It's a switch that has me resenting the laptop a little. (I don't want to use iTunes!) And occasionally windows explorer crashes, but it's always able to restart that without too much hassle. All in all, its pretty not too bad.

Until last night.

I was sitting at my desk (this computer lives on a desk, not on the bed. Not once on the bed) doing some work for school with the computer next to me. I was trying to be conscious of the time, waiting for 8pm when I could stop and watch the recap show for Desperate Housewives. I'd been working since about 4pm, so this seemed reasonable. I glanced at the time on the computer, about 7:30. I kept working. I glanced back, about 7:48. I kept working (I was on such a roll, really I should have kept going I think!) I glanced back, 7:52. I wasn't really keeping track of the times I was seeing, so it took me a while to realize that I thought it should be later. I glanced at the time on the TV - 8:08pm. I thought, crazy that my TV has the time so wrong. So I picked up my cell phone (my cell phone, by the way, which I can't say I love...to me it's equivalent to my right arm. You don't love your arm, do you hardly ever think about it? But, seriously, it goes everywhere you do and you use it mostly without thinking, and if you were to lose it you may no longer be able to function in everyday society. Yes, my cell phone is like my right arm.) Cell says 8:10. WHAT?! My stupid computer, windows explorer froze again....freezing the time display on the task bar, and causing me to miss my 8pm deadline for stopping work and watching TV. HOW DARE YOU?!

Luckily, TiVO is like my underage pool-boy and was already recording everything I wanted to watch.

No comments: