Wednesday, May 14, 2008

another one bites the dust...

Somehow I find myself celebrating the end of yet another semester. It seems surreal to me that two semesters here are over. But that rush of feeling DONE, it's escaped me this semester. I find that people who are unused to a life in academia don't really understand what I do all day. Do I "go to class", "work in an office", "sleep on the couch and watch soaps"? I mean, it's a valid question. I, in fact, do two of the three. When there are classes, I go. Otherwise I'm getting "work" done in my office. In fact, my life this semester has been very similar to my life the last 3 years. Data analysis, data collection, subject scheduling, answering questions, hiding behind my door. (Oh, the door, that's actually a welcome new addition!) And now that I'm done, in the sense that all the work has been turned in for all of my classes, what's left right? I'm faced with the never ending question "What are you doing for the summer?"

Summer starts today, and I'm sitting in my office, waiting for a subject to arrive. I'll test them, then I'll hope to modify one of my experiments, because I have another subject coming at 2:30pm. After that I hope to be able to make some changes to a paper I'm writing and send out another draft for comments. I've also got to call the subjects we've got lined up for tomorrow - and a few new subjects who need to be scheduled. So, in the end, I'm not really "done", I'll never really be "done".

But the semester is over, and hell if that doesn't deserve some celebratin'.

No comments: