Wednesday, October 08, 2008

kitshickers or death

Once again, I've lapsed into silence about our kickball team. Mostly because...we suck. We lost the last two games, the most recent one in embarrassing fashion (20-4). That said, I love this team. I will go down with this team. We could use some work, we need some new strategies. Perhaps we can start by avoiding things like this devastatingly embarrassing play - by yours truly.

I was up at the plate, totally completely ready to kick the ball. I mean, all my practice kicks pre-game had gone anywhere but the direction I intended, but...I was ready. I took a few steps and WHAM. I skimmed the top of the ball and it did a sad little pathetic roll about a foot in front of me. I stood, embarrassed by my lack of power, and watched as it rolled slowly over the "girl-bunt-line". Holy crap that's a fair ball, holy crap I need to be running to first. Friggin, I am worse than Manny. I start running, sure they are going to pick up the ball and throw me out, but by the grace of the kickball gods, they bobbled it or something and I made it safely to first. Phew, you're saying, right? Embarrassment over. Ha, we're just beginning 'my friends'. RO'D is the first base coach, and for the next kick he tells me to "GO GO GO", but I don't, because I could tell it would be caught. It was. I am a superhero for not listening! So the next kicker is up, LD kicks the ball, somewhere between 1st and 2nd. I'm off and running. They pick up the ball and now I am running directly towards a guy holding the ball. So, instinctively I - what?! yes! - I crouch to the ground and cover my face. So sure this guy is just going to tag me and throw LD out too. While on the ground I hear RO'D screaming something FIERCE. "Jenni, RUN!" I peek up, look around, that guy and the ball...not near me. I quickly stand up and start to run again, only to be going in somewhat the wrong direction before turning 90 degrees back towards 2nd. Where, again thanks to the kickball gods, I was safe. Now, I'm on second, and RO'D kicks a far one, I'm off and running...only to mostly miss touching 3rd base on my way by (I did get it, not gracefully as you can imagine) and made it home to score one of our 4 runs.

The point of this is not solely to display my lack of skill or bonehead moves. More so that you will understand the state of the team, because I don't lie when I say - I'm not even the worst one.

Kitchickers, Richard Moya Park field #3, this Thursday, 7pm CDT. Nowhere to go but up!

No comments: