Saturday, November 08, 2008

1:20:55

This morning was the last long run before next weekend.  We did 7 miles, and though it started off real rough, the low end of moderately cold, it ended up as a pretty solid run. As we ran RO'D asked me what my goal was for next weekend. I hate trying to chat while I run, mostly because I can't, but I managed to ask "Goal?" and looked at him puzzled.  "To finish." I said, wondering if that was good enough.  He said he hopes to finish under 2:10, and I was shocked.  I hadn't even considered what a reasonable target time would be.  I guess I'll be happy if I'm done in under 3 hours, but seriously - I think I'll just be happy if I finish.  Whenever that is.

Half way through RO'D left me, as is our habit, and took off at his accelerated pace - which also meant it was time for me to slow down to my much slower pace (so much for a negative split).  This left me with some time to think, not so much about my goal for the race - but, why I wanted to race.  Running has never been my dream, I absolutely can't say I've always wanted to do this.  I think my motivation is quite the opposite - I never wanted to do this.  I never even considered it was possible.

I run for all the girls who weren't quite cool enough to be one of the cool kids, who weren't quite athletic enough to be an athlete, who weren't artistic enough to be an artist.  I run for all the girls who were told they couldn't, who thought they shouldn't.  I run for all the girls who were laughed at, who were afraid, who cried.  I run because I don't have the time, but I make it. I run because it hurts, but I keep going.  I run because I want to stop, but I don't.  I run because I want one less thing to fail at.

An hour and twenty-one minutes after we started, I crossed the longest foot bridge there ever was, and met up with a waiting RO'D.  He had been there for about 18 minutes, but as I neared the end of the bridge he was jumping and cheering for me.  And then I was sure, all I really need is to cross the finish line next week.

I run for me, because I can.  

No comments: