Saturday, August 01, 2009

two days in LA

In reality, it was two weeks in LA, but there were really only two days that I was able to get out and explore. I was at UCLA for a class (advanced fMRI, aka, nerd camp), which ended up being a really great experience. It started off, well, less than that.

I arrived at LAX, after a lengthy day o'travel, with a pit of anxiety in my throat. I was going to be staying in a dorm, on campus, with a roommate, and a meal plan, for two weeks. And I didn't know anyone. No one. And the one person I'd be at all interested in seeing in LA is notoriously bad at getting in touch with, and was also having a wedding that same week. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly excited for this trip.

Turns out, not all neuroimagers are freaks, and I met some people that were totally awesome, and made the weeks go by a little faster. In addition, I have some pretty awesome ex-UCLA friends, who lent out their own personal friends as needed. Over the weekend we had no class, and I was forced/able to fill my time with random LA excursions.

Saturday morning started early, around 5:30, and a friend of VC and Libs took me up to Malibu to see the tide pools. The tide was extra low, and we were able to see some sweet sea life in the rocky areas along the shore. It was a beautiful little hike around the cliffs to get there, and the beach was full of crazy surfers and dog-walkers alike. It was a fabulous way to spend the morning. Followed by some delicious lemon pancakes, yum! From here I went and rented a car - and I was off. I started with lunch at In 'n Out, and then I drove down sunset through Beverly Hills. After seeing the most awesome palm trees ever, I was off to Hollywood Blvd where I drove past Grauman's Theater and saw the Hollywood sign up on the hills. I spent the rest of the afternoon at the big Farmer's Market on Fairfax and 3rd, tried some Pinkberry frozen yogurt, and then was off to Dodger Stadium to catch a Dodger game.

The game was pretty awesome, although seeing Manny made me want to hurl. What's worse, I was sitting next to a tiny 3 year old boy who clearly idolized the idiot. I couldn't even jeer or boo, I just sat quietly.

On Sunday I woke up a little later than I had been, and was so happy to realize that I could still go running at 11am without fear of death by heat stroke. I found this new website that let me search for runs in LA. I found a great 6 mile loop through Beverly Hills, and I was off. It was a great run, through some gorgeous neighborhoods - with incredible palm trees. I was amazed by how few people there were out and about too. It was incredibly peaceful, and totally too much effort. I was so tired and sore when I was done. I spent the rest of the afternoon out by Santa Monica, and put my bare feet in the pacific ocean for the first time that I can remember. I forgot how much I missed being near the ocean, or how much I took it for granted growing up.




Two weeks later I've filled up an entire notebook, used the ink of one pen, made 4 or 5 new friends, survived a twin bed in the dorm, disgusto cafeteria food, and even saw a bunch of fun sites in LA. All in all, not the trip I feared when I landed at LAX.

No comments: