Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I am 16 going on....

So, I'm your average mid-20 something single girl living in a city. I'm hip, I'm down, I often feel 17 years old. Every now and then, however, something happens to smack me in the face with exactly where I am in life. Like buying a brand new car all on my own. Or picking my own bed time. It's one in the same really. So, tonight, I went out for this thing - well - a date. And it was one of the first times I was on a date and I knew I was on a date, and the boy knew I was on a date. It's surprising how key all of these aspects are for having a good date.

and it was good.

here is how I was impressed:
* I was ten minutes early, and he was there waiting...
* in dress pants...
* and a button down shirt!
* he was impressed by the depth of my theories on both Osama bin Laden and Neuroscience.
* he had asked someone he worked with (who knows me) about me.
* he drank white wine.
* he made sure I hadn't had too much wine to drive home.
* he walked me back to my car when we were done.

and here is how I impressed him:
* three hours went by and I didn't vomit on my shoes (or his!)

but at the end of night I got home and did the girl thing. I looked in the mirror to try and figure out what embarrassing thing was happening with my outfit, or my hair, or my teeth, or my skin - anything that might have persuaded him to pay for dinner and leave. It was then that I realized...that stuff doesn't really matter anymore.

*smack* I'm not 17! but I'm starting to think that's a good thing. (good night mom!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds awesome. And smack in the face, indeed.