Wednesday, June 07, 2006

the story of bo and deb

One night, many years ago, I stole a best friend. And it was the best move I ever made. I first met Bo years before that - we had mutual friends and would hang out on a regular basis. But we weren't really friends. Then we went off to college and heard little about or from each other. But then one night after hanging out again a few times, I decided it was dumb that I had no idea how to get in touch with Bo if not through these mutual friends, so I asked my friend for his number. And I was refused. So, I did what anyone would have done...out at the club she asked to put her cell phone in my purse and I agreed, then went to the bathroom and stole Bo's phone number from her phone and put it in mine. So sneaky - but so smart.

Bo and I have the best of times. We've hit every hole-in-the-wall bar in the town we grew up in. In fact, Bo is even vying for a position as town councilman so that he can turn some hot spots into very cool bars. I mean, why can't Smith's Flower shop be a bar?! it would be AWESOME - some white christmas lights, oh amazing!! We're also avid dart players, juke-box hogs, and excellent at getting to Wendy's just before it closes to have late night fries and burgers! yum.

Bo was living in New Orleans, until Katrina told him to get the hell out of there. He was relocated to Houston for a bit. He's now back in our small RI town for a few weeks - all of which I will be trekking through Europe and East Asia, so we will not have a chance to find a one-armed man to buy us drinks together. By the time I return Bo will already have headed back to NOLA, finally, and will begin his third year in med school.

So this here is my tribute to Bo - "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy and Vote for Bo for Town Council." He's really a fabulous friend. and, it's his birthday! Happy Birthday Bo!

No comments: