Wednesday, July 26, 2006

example

I registered with a website today and we all know how that goes now - with "internet security" a big issue whenever you register for something and have to give out your email address you then have to wait for the confirmation email. But then you have to go a step further and validate this by clicking on some button, going to some link, or replying in some manner. I understand the security measure here, to prevent people from signing up for things under someone else's email address, or being able to later claim that this was not what they wanted. However, the confirmation email I got today began with one sentence that seemed to be a very polite attempt at explaining why I had to go through all this crap:

We require this step to protect our relationship with you

It struck me - what a good idea this is. An initial step that is required in order to protect the relationship. I'm thinking of saving this email and using it in many other instances in my life. You want a ride from me, first you'll receive an email indicating that I require this step to protect my relationship with you. You want me to go to your party, first you'll get this email. You want to buy me a drink, have my phone number, take me to dinner, EMAIL. Then I will require you to go to a webpage, check of that you agree to the terms and conditions, and maybe make you enter a string of letters and numbers that are artfully disguised behind a mess of criss-crossed lines and stripes. Can't ever be too safe!

No comments: