Monday, October 30, 2006

unprepared

Last night I went out to see my friend Chris' band play a Halloween show. (Miles From Land 4eva!) It was a Sunday night, kinda late, and even though I hadn't taken a shower all day I convinced myself to brush my hair, put on a clean shirt and some nice shoes (not sneakers). We get to the place and, after showing our IDs and getting purple ghost stamps on our hands, we make our way into the bar. The first 6 faces I see are familiar ones. But eerily familiar. Familiar in the way that at first glance you think it's bad.

I went to college in another Massachusetts city and I had a boyfriend for, what some would consider, a very long time. He grew up in a small town about 20 minutes outside of our college city and has 4 best friends from - well, from forever. They all ended up going to college in the same city, or one very nearby, so needless to say, we ALL saw a lot of them. It's been a long enough time that we've not been together where I'm not upset about it at all. But, it's still one of those things you try and not think about too often.

So I walk in and see 1, 2, 3, 4 of them. And like I said, at first it made me cringe. But I went over and said "Hi!" and we all chatted for a while. And one of them told me that their friend was in the band who was playing right before my friend Chris' band. I looked up, and yes - in fact, it WAS their friend. A 5th person I knew. And his parents were there to see....and I knew that because I've met them and been in their house. It was only then that I realized I did know the name of the band that was playing, because we used to go to all their shows. How quickly you forget (or block out) these things!! From where I was standing at that point I could see only half the bass drum, a tom, a crash cymbal and one drum stick. And I'll admit to peering around the corner to check out the drummer to see if it was my ex-boyfriend. It wasn't.

The shows went on, and they were great. But the weirdest part, that I was most unprepared for, was that it wasn't weird to see these guys. I was actually very glad to see them. And maybe even realized I kind of missed them. Turns out they are all living up here, so maybe the other weird thing is that I haven't run into them yet. But, it was nice to see them and catch up for a bit.

and I was totally glad I put on nice shoes and brushed my hair!

No comments: