Thursday, December 21, 2006

with an eye

The name for this blog has a bunch of different meanings. One of them is about the spelling of my name, which is J-E-N-N-I, with an I. No one ever gets that. I sign my emails with it spelled correctly and people write back to Jenny. Do they think I've misspelled my own name? And if I did - who are they to correct me? Another reason for the blog name was the purpose I started it, to share travel photos. To share the world through my eyes! And I guess I continue to do that without the photos too.

But, also, I have brown eyes. Big brown eyes. Dark brown eyes. I remember when I was younger - eight or nine maybe - and my dad and I were playing cribbage with my grandfather. I remember looking up and being totally shocked that starring back at me were 4 eyes that looked like mine. We really do all have the same huge, deep brown eyes. This is the point I want to make today. As I stood at the mirror scrubbing to get the remnants of last nights mascara off (just in time to put today's mascara on) I was starring at my own eyes. My light, golden brown with green in them, eyes. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but what I want to know is - when did it change? And how did I not notice?! My eyes - my eyes that I share with my father and his father - are not big and brown any more. I did then run out to see an old picture of me and an old picture of my dad, and I did once have big brown eyes. On a related topic. My blond hair, the golden blond hair I was born with, that was always naturally highlighted (and thicker than anything you've ever seen) is not so golden blond anymore. It's begun to grow in, dare I say it, light brown.

I suppose that as I continue to share the world through my eyes, I need to start seeing myself through the worlds eyes.

1 comment:

forever shaken said...

You have such a nice eye color! It's one of the first things I noticed about you. I thought to myself, "This young Jenni-and-that's-spelled-with-an-I-you-idiot has such lovely amber eyes. I wonder if she is HIPAA certified?"