Saturday, September 01, 2007

on your mark...

It's been a long time since I've run outside for any considerable distance. For a long time running hurt pretty bad: my shins, my flat feet, my bad knees. So, I stuck to the elliptical (and field hockey!) It seems that running is the thing to do in Austin, there are a lot of great outdoor trails - and even my neighborhood has some nice scenery and in-tact sidewalks!

After a motivational talk with one of my field hockey friends from Boston, who is an avid runner and currently training to kick N's ass in the BAA half marathon (Sorry N, my money's still on mook!), I tied my house key through my shoe lace and headed outside.

But it's been a while since I've run in the 'elements' - the blazing sun, hills, crosswalks, dogs. I've been protected with the indoor, air-conditioned, Oprah-showing gym. It was significantly harder outside, for instance the particular run that I ran today should be done in reverse next time - that big ass hill at the very end, bad idea. I think I definitely run faster outside, and I get tired quicker, and I feel it more. This morning I didn't go far, I ran about 1/2 of an 'easy' run on the elliptical, in about 1/2 the time...with a bit of walking! But I went.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If she wins it'll be due to residual alcohol poisoning.

Jenni said...

omg - you can't start with the excuses ALREADY! I'm putting even more money on the mook now!