Monday, November 12, 2007

my life as a grad student.

I had an exam on Thursday. I'd love to be one of those people who can say "oh, I didn't have to study..." But, I'm not. I did have to study. And it was tough. I procrastinated in every way possible. Until, it came right down to the 11th hour and I could procrastinate no more. And then, then I studied. I paced around my apartment reading notes, and text books, and powerpoint slides, and note cards. I studied, and thought, and reasoned, and understood (ish). And slept (not much). The exam came and went, and it was pretty much as expected. And then I sat around at school from 11am (when the test ended) until 3pm (when I had a class). What I really wanted to do was go home. I needed sleep. I needed to decompress. But, I'm a nerd at heart, and I could not miss class. So I stuck around.

It's been pretty quiet lately, all classes have been canceled because of a conference that's pretty important and most people have been attending. Thursday was our first day back to this one class. I headed over to class at 3pm. There were only two people in the room (a computer lab) so I said "We have class right?" They said yes! So I sat at my computer and waited. waited.

I signed online to chat with some friends. But I was concerned, no one else was there. I waited. One other girl walked in. She sat, and looked all around. She looked at the clock a few times. Then she pulled out her text book and put on her iPod. My "chatting" turned into "ranting", and the 10-minute-rule came and went. After sufficiently complaining to 3 friends online, and my mother via email, I decided that 15 minutes was long enough to wait. At 3:15, when there was still no sign of a professor, TA, or other classmates, I quietly picked up my books and left.

I made it 4 steps out of the room before I remembered that class starts at 3:30pm, and has all semester.

After class, I hopped on the bus immediately. I was going straight home - the couch and a beer were waiting. I got off the bus stop, and my 1/2 mile walk brings me right passed the grocery store. I needed aluminum foil and dish soap, so I went in to get it. I found the aluminum foil and dish soap. I also saw a roasting pan that I need for Thanksgiving, as well as this covered glass pyrex dish I needed. Then I remembered I was out of conditioner. Also, toilet paper - I grabbed the pack of 12. I also grabbed paper towels (8 rolls) and some hand soap. I mean, I needed them all. So I push my cart up to the check-out, and as I unload things I remember to say the thing I reminded myself of when I walked in the store:

"I don't need a bag"

Crap, I don't need a bag because I'll just throw this aluminum foil and dish soap in my school bag and continue my walk home. I think this through slowly as I stare at three pans, two large things of paper products, four different kinds of soap, and aluminum foil on the belt. I never really finished my sentence, it came out more like:

"I don't need.....uhhh....well....hm."
pause
"Actually, I can't buy all of this stuff!"
blank stare
"I forgot that I walked here"
still blank
"So, ya, sorry. Just the aluminum foil and the dish soap. I can't carry the rest!"
"OH! And I don't need a bag, thank you!"

I mean, the woman laughed and pretended to understand. But I was familiar with the awkwardness to hide the nervous 'This lady is so crazy I'm actually scared for her well-being' sentiment that I am sure was going through her head.

I appreciate the concern, it was touch and go. But, the couch and the beer did the job!

No comments: