Wednesday, January 23, 2008

impressive

One of my classes this semester, that I think will be pretty fun and immensely useful is called Do-it-yourself Stats. I can hold my own as a small-time script writer; I spent many years pouring through other peoples code, figuring out how stuff works, finding bugs, making things happen the way I wanted. But Matlab has always been the one thing I was afraid to touch. DIY-stats happens all in matlab! It also will teach me the fine art of making up my data boot-strapping.

Our first assignment is an easy one, generate random data, calculate the mean, and get a histogram that should look Gaussian. To do this I wrote a simple script. Then we were asked to find the sample variance and sample size for each run and to plot those. I got fancy, I wrote a script around my script to gather all these numbers and plot it. I think I expected a straight line, showing the constant relationship.



I got this blimp. I think there is a problem somewhere.


UPDATE (2:55pm): After figuring out that all the variables I created needed to be cleared before I rerun the script - and after realizing that I was starting my graph with an unnecessary (0,0) coord, I think I've done it!

No comments: