Thursday, July 10, 2008

we will never forget (again).

I can't believe I'm about to admit this publicly, but more so, I can't believe it happened. To me. And a friend of mine. I'm basically speechless, and horrified. And, while I know this post may disappoint some (Mom, Dad, brace yourselves) I feel that the public service announcement may help to prevent other people from falling into the same trap.

I play trivia on Tuesdays with some friends. This week there was a baseball question: Who hit a three run home run on the opening game at Yankee Stadium. Our guess was Babe Ruth, but I was unsure. I wasn't sure what year Yankee Stadium was built, I was thinking it was before the Babe was a Yank. As I was trying to put out this argument (to my very NON-baseball teammates) *it* happened. I said:
When was Yankee Stadium opened, because Babe was traded in 1908.
As soon as I said it, it didn't sound right. I couldn't believe it. I could no longer remember that dreaded year - the last time the Sox won the series (I mean, the last time before two times ago). I sat there searching my brain for that year, killing myself to try and remember. One of my teammates even looked over to ask if i was ok. No, definitely not ok.

I instantly texted 3 of my red sox loving friends and admitted my forgetfulness:
OMG! I can't remember the year the Sox won the Series before 2004!
I decided that I could figure it out, and quickly calculated 2004 minus 86, and came to the correct answer. As soon as I figured it out, I got an answer back from RO'D and all it said was:
1927?
As a devoted member of Red Sox Nation, I am thoroughly disappointed in the ease with which we have forgotten those horrid chants, those damn yankee fans that thought they could taunt us with our curse, that 86 years before 2004 the Boston Red Sox were the 1918 World Series Champions!

1 comment:

C.Pacheco said...

Can't be upset with you - we all forget some things!! But, my excuse is my age!! However, I am proud of you - you were able to figure it out!! That makes me happy!!

BTW, Yankee stadium opened on April 18, 1923 and it was in fact Babe Ruth that hit the home run. But, I had to look it up!!

Love you!