Sunday, October 12, 2008

2008 ALCS Game 2: a text message retrospective

Top of first, Jason Bay 2 out 2 RBI double.
JP (to SH, NH, CH, JK, RO'D):Manny who?
SH: Exactly!
NH: What happened? Waiting on bus to take me home.
JP (to NH): Papi walked. Youk single. Bay 2 rbi double. Lowrie walked. V tek strike out. 2-0 Sox mid first.

Top of first, Jason Varitek strikes out to end the inning.
SH: Sorry, but tek sucks when not catching
JP (to SH): Omg...i totally know!

Sometime later...
NH: Gd still no bus.

EP: Sox!

Bottom of second, Evan Longoria 2 run homer.
JP (to NH): Tb just got a two run homer. Tie game. F F F
JP (to SH): Well....CRAP!

Top of third, Dustin Pedroia hits a solo homerun.
JP (to SH): Mvp!
SH: I heart him!

CH: Pedroia!
JP (to CH): Mvp!

End of third, Tampa Bay 2-run inning.
JP(to SH): Are you kidding me?
SH: I know. But lets be positive. Still early, right? They make me nervous
JP (to SH): Still early for sure! Plenty of time :)

JP (to NH): Rays lead 4-3 2 outs bot 3. Doing replays is making me angry!

EP: WTFUuuuuuuudge?
JP (to EP): We can has better pitching?

Top of fifth, Dustin Pedroia hits a solo homerun.
NH: Sweet!
(apparently made it on a bus!)

JP (to CH): Dude, I heart pedroia!
Kevin Youkilis follows with a solo homerun.
CH: Youk!
JP (to CH): I heart him too :)
Jason Bay follows with a solo homerun.
CH: I heart bay!

SH: What was that Manny? Don't worry we don't need you! We love bay. What a nerve wracking game!

Sometime in the bottom of the fifth when Beckett was giving up runs left and right.
JP (to SH): Get him out of there!
SH: I don't like this.  Too nervous
JP (to SH): Seriously...but it seems anything can happen this game!
SH: I wish you were here and we were watching the game together!  miss you.  We can still do this.
(admittedly, this was my favorite text of the whole night!)
JP (to SH): I wish I were there too!

JK (in response to my very first text): But we do need to know who beckett is
JP (to JK): Unfortunately i think we know...not good.

Top of 8th, Papi strikes out again.
JP (to SH): What happened to mr. october?

Top of 8th, Pedroia steals home on a wild pitch.
CMP: tied!!
JP (to CMP): Ya :)  Pedroia

Sox bring in Masterson.
SH: F@#$!
And then Papelbon.
JP (to SH): why paps now?  If extra innings we need him later.

Tampa Bay wins off of Mike Timlin.
phone convo between me and RO'D at the end of the game, 12:36am:
him: I saw
me: what a waste of 6 hours
him: yup
me: TIMLIN.
him: ya
me: they wasted paps
him: ya
me: I gotta sleep.
him: yes.
me: better to go to Boston 1-1 then down 2.
him: for sure.  better.
me: f@#$!
him: f@#$!
(what I love about this is, this is how it went.  I called him.  There was no "hello" and there was no "goodbye".  Just this.)

No comments: