Saturday, July 04, 2009

a lesson in skin care

I'm generally the one who is slathering up with sunscreen, while some of my friends forget it, or choose to go without. Mostly, this horrifies me, so I figured I'd offer my Happy 4th of July wishes by talking about skin care.

Some of my friends aren't freaked out by the prospects of skin cancer, I guess that's where we differ. I'm all for not looking pasty white, but at the same time, I understand it comes with some risks. I generally like to find a good balance between lack-of-see-throughness and too-much-sun-exposure. There was a rumor for a while that any sunscreen over SPF 20 was a joke. This is only partly true. There are two types of rays - UVA and UVB. UVB causes the burns, while UVA generally causes the wrinkles, and is generally more responsible for skin cancer. Typically US sunscreens only contain protection against UVB, but not UVA. Then for a while there was one product that was approved to be included in sunscreens to protect from UVA, and that was only in some sunscreens at SPF 20. There is a new product, in Neutrogena, that has a broad spectrum UVA-UVB protection, and combine two different chemicals to not only block UVA but also to make that protection last longer in direct sun exposure. You can be sure, my sunscreens (yes, I said sunscreens, plural) of choice have this type of protection.

My daily routine is to use a face lotion that has SPF 15 in it, every day, on my face. I also have a body lotion with SPF 15, that I'll use on my shoulders and arms when I'm wearing a tank top. This is just everyday. To go to school, the grocery store, sit in my apartment.

When I'm heading out for a run, I generally use this face stick, which does not clog pores nor run into your eyes. I also use a sport spray on my arms and shoulders, and lately I've been running with a hat.

On days, like today, when I am heading to sit directly in the sun pool side, I do have an extensive routine. I start with an SPF 55 cream sunscreen. I put this one BEFORE I put my suit on, to make sure I even get under the edges of wear the suit would go. And I let it dry a bit before pulling my suit up over it. I do this as I get dressed, generally HOURS before I'm actually IN the sun. I also use it on my face. Then, when I first get out in the sun, I reapply using the sports spray and the face stick. I do not get in the water for at least 30-45 minutes after this. From here on out, when I reapply - and I do try to often - I use the sports spray. As you're applying, don't forget things like your ears, the tops of your feet, the backs of your knees. They are often over looked, and hurt quite badly when burned.

And, after the sun, if I am burned (which does happen sometimes, even with all this effort), my favorite after sun lotion is Burts Bees. And just remember to keep any sunburn moisturized, this will help much to get it to heal quickly.

Happy Fourth of July to everyone, wishing you lots of BBQ, watermelon, cold beers, good friends, and a beautiful sun-safe day!

No comments: