Tuesday, June 27, 2006

jet lag

I arrived in Singapore on Sunday evening. It was a long flight, but it really wasn't that bad. When I got in I wasn't very tired - but I had no trouble falling asleep. It was Monday during the day that it caught up with me. I spent the morning training some people in their lab. They took me out for a nice Singapore lunch. Here there are these open food courts, I suppose like a food court in a mall, where there are many different options - but these aren't in a mall, just stand alone all over the place. If you know me at all you know I am an extremely picky eater, so I hesitate to say that my lunch was *good*. It wasn't BAD. I think it was chicken, supposedly chicken, and tofu, and rice. I'll admit to eating ALL of the rice, some of the tofu, and some of the chicken. The city is incredibly clean - they call it the "fine" city because there are incredible fines for just about everything. Enforced fines. Fines for littering, feeding the pigeons, spitting on the ground, not flushing the public toliet. I could definitely live in a world where people don't litter, don't feed the pigeons, don't spit on the ground and always flush the toilet! But, I guess living in fear of being fined or worse may not be worth it. Gum is also illegal here, because they had a lot of trouble with gum getting on everything, streets, sidewalks, benches, etc. So it's just not legal here anymore. All of the people I have met so far are very nice, and they've offered to take me out at night and show me around. But tonight, tonight I am going to sleep. I am going to shop a tiny bit in the mall at my hotel, and I am going to eat (likely nothing classically singaporian) and I am going to go to bed!

Wednesday is a day off, and I've lined up some things I'd like to do. Hopefully there will be pictures from THAT day!

No comments: