Tuesday, August 22, 2006

the way things work

I flew to New Mexico on Sunday - I was really tired when I woke up and headed to the airport. I got there and checked in at the Delta kiosk and it nicely asked me if I wanted to change my flight. I was scheduled to be on a flight from Boston to New York to Cincinnati to Albuquerque and now I was being asked to go Boston to Albuquerque with a stop (not a plane change) in Atlanta. I would leave about an hour earlier and arrive in Albuquerque about 4 hours earlier. hell ya I wanted to change flights. I got my boarding pass, hurried through security sans any liquids - sans anything really, it was all checked. I managed to find time to scarf down a bagel and then I boarded.

I fell asleep before we even left the gate. I woke up as we were pulling up to the gate in Atlanta. awesome. But I was struck with this weird feeling I have sometimes when you have to go on faith that things happened. It felt like I'd been asleep a long time, but had I? Were we really in Atlanta, could this just be a different gate at Logan? A similar thing happened when I had my wisdom teeth out. I had all four out, and was heavily HEAVILY sedated. I have recollections of him ripping the top right tooth out, but nothing else. I also felt that no time passed. For a week I was convinced that he only removed the one tooth instead of all four. It wasn't until I went back to get the stitches removed that I was sure there was a hole where each tooth had been. I've had this similar thought when in an elevator that is completely closed off (i.e., no windows). I know it sorta feels like you are moving, and lights are telling you that you are...but couldn't it be that you haven't actually gone anywhere and the floor you were on just changed around you? come on, it's POSSIBLE!

So, I supposedly flew to Atlanta - although the airport could have just changed around me while I slept. In Atlanta some people got off and new people got on and then we headed to Albuquerque. While in Atlanta, however, my luggage decided it looked nice and was one of the people to get off the plane. Bye clothes, bye lens solution, bye hair brush. You can imagine my anxiety when I arrived in Albuquerque and my luggage was no where in sight. Luckily a nice Delta woman assured me - "oh, it's in Atlanta, it will be getting on the next flight and arriving in Albuquerque at 930pm. Our driver will bring it to your hotel." I did not get the luggage until the next morning, but I did get it. I hope it's learned to stay on the plane with me from now on, do you think there is suitcase obedience school?

No comments: