Monday, September 04, 2006

errands

I went out today, Labor Day, and I made three different stops - 1. I stopped for gas; 2. I bought new running shoes; 3. I bought paint at home depot.

Now each stop had it's own set of issues. At the gas station, all the self serve pumps were full, so I pulled up to the correct side and waited near the guy who was paying. When he left, the guy behind him also left. I backed up to let them out, and some lady drove forward and blocked me out of the pump. Now, she only needed one pump, but she certainly pulled up more than she needed, making it impossible for me to get my tank near the pump (we were nose to nose). So I asked her to pull up and take the one I was in front of and I'd pull back and take the one she was in front of. After a small display of annoyance, she complied. thank god.

Then I arrived at the New Balance outlet. one word. ZOO. There were a zillion people there, including everyone's full set of jewish grandparents who were sitting on every conceivable surface to sit on - NOT trying on shoes mind you. In fact, I'm not sure that some of them were even there with anyone buying shoes. I grabbed about 17 boxes and then, having no place to sit, I piled them up and planted it on my shoe boxes. Trying on pair after pair after pair, multiple questions to the salesman and a few phone calls for help. One would think I could reasonably buy a pair of running shoes without such a hassle. nope.

Then, Home Depot. Ok, all of the people who owned the jewish grandparents at New Balance had snuck out and jetted across town to Home Depot. Apparently New Balance has more seats for the grandparents. And everyone seemed to be buying paint. I had already decided on the color (Romantic Isle) and I knew I needed a gallon. I also knew I needed: rollers, paint tray, paint brush, drop cloth and tape. I was amazed at the wide variety of rollers (that all looked the same) that varied so drastically in price. They had rollers for rough surfaces, smooth surfaces, clean surfaces and dirty surfaces. It made me wonder - if I used a roller for dirty surfaces on my dirty wall, will it clean it and THEN paint it so that I end up with a clean painted wall. Or will I just end with a dirty painted wall, because if that's the case...whats the point?? Luckily for me, I am the worlds best eavesdropper and heard some girl say to her roommate (ya, I found out later they were roommates) "you'd be better with this kit I found, it's got everything and so much cheaper." I was intrigued, so I nonchalantly put down the roller I was holding and slyly followed the roomies to said kit. Amazing - paint tray, three differet sized rollers, brush, tape, drop cloth all in one. Then I got my paint and headed to the register.

Of the three purchases I made - gas, running shoes, paint & supplies - which do you think cost the most?? Place your votes.

**the answer will appear in a future post if y'all post your votes!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would guess that they all cost about the same.

cmp

Anonymous said...

Well, the price of gas has gone down. And with all those people at New Balance, I would think there was a good sale going on so maybe the paint?

Anonymous said...

I say the gas was the most expensive even though your car isn't huge. It had to be at least $35. If you were at the outlet, you could have found a fabulous sale. And groceries could be less than $35. So gas. That's my guess.

Anonymous said...

oops!! I was thinking crazy. Home depot--not groceries. And since I just bought paint, I know you can get it for about $25/gallon and the kit is less than $10. So I still go with gas!

Anonymous said...

Paint & supplies!