Thursday, January 24, 2008

good idea, bad idea: part II - adventures in babysitting

I was babysitting tonight and had a small instance of déjà vu. Although, this time, instead of styrofoam popcorns it was small plastic tiddly-winks. And, instead of carefully dumping them onto the ground they were violently thrown from their tub by a 5 year-old. And, instead of a long-haired cat there was a small dog (smaller than Mia). Also involved in this "game" were two different colors of putty and some magnets. I was never quite clear what the rules were, other than make a huge gigantic mess sending your babysitter into OCD hysterics. But in the end, I got the little rugrat. He began to throw a tantrum about picking up the mess, as he did this I picked up one of the wand-magnets and started collecting the magnetic tiddly-winks. I cleverly bragged to him that I could pick up more than he could. Wouldn't you know it, I lost. Boys and their competitive edges.

We then decided to play "rock band" which involved real microphones and real instruments. Which were banged around in a way that I am sure was not their intent. I put a stop to this when he began ripping these down off the wall (mind you, these line the walls of his play room...but still, are they toys?! who knows!) I played an electric guitar and the keyboard while he screamed into a microphone. I think we were pretty good. Although, the lyrics - "ya baby, all night long, you are soooo cooool, all night long, ya baby" - they have me a little creeped out.

Cancer wife lives on!

No comments: