Saturday, August 16, 2008

on the road again

I went for a run tonight.

That sounds like less than earth-shattering news, but it's been about 3 months since I've been able to run. I can certainly thank the start of today's Olympic women's marathon as my inspiration (also, Michael Phelps(swoon), Aaron Peirsol, Dara Torres, Libby Trickket, Guo Jingjing, Nastia Liukin, Misti and Kerri...). Technically, I don't think I'm supposed to be running yet, and supposedly I took it slow. But, damn did it feel good to get out there again. I forgot how much I like it. I forgot how peaceful and nice my neighborhood is, and how much I need that alone time to just run and not think! Originally my goal was to just go one mile - but thanks to Sandi Thom*, Death Cab, Jeff Buckley**, City and Colour, and The Beatles - it was too hard to stop. I completed my 4 mile loop, with a considerable amount of walking, and came inside to stretch! I didn't even mind the rain that came in somewhere between miles 2 and 3. My new shoes are awesome, and I feel alright now. Tomorrow might be a different story.

I don't know if I can declare it over, but I think it's safe to say, I see the light at the end of the perpetual funk I've been in lately!

*If I can bring along some tunes(teeny tiny mp3 player that straps to my arm is dead, and super huge mp3 player is in a word un-portable) when I run whatever portion of the San Antonio Rock and Roll I can muster, this song will be strategically placed about every 15 minutes or so. It seems impossible not to get pumped with this in your ear.

**I was unable to let myself listen to this song for a long time, and then much like everything else, by way of OSOM, it was forgotten. It popped into the playlist unexpectedly today, and at the risk of sounding like a sap, I don't think it's a coincidence that it was what pushed me up my last hill. I really love this song, it's good for the soul.



UPDATE (8/17/2008): My hip feels ok. I stretched a little after running, and then again before going to bed. This morning my hip feels fine, but my quads. Holy hard-as-rocks batman! I've already stretched them out 3 times, and they are a little better. But, dang...my PT would not be impressed, and it seemed there wasn't much about my legs he was unhappy with.

No comments: