Wednesday, November 26, 2008

it's that day again

Last year there was much build up for today, this year I feel ill prepared.  I got up early to run this morning, I have to work all day, and I have not made a single list yet!! (well, ok, there was a list of recipe ingredients that was then made into a grocery store list - ordered by store aisle of course!)

I did my grocery shopping on Monday night, turns out I didn't need too much.  And I only have 3 items left to get*.  I was having trouble finding vegetable boullion - but Melanie assured me it exists.  I found mushroom based "Better than Boullion", but blech I don't like mushrooms.  She said also Knorr's makes a vegetable one.  Now, the Knorr's at my HEB was way up high, and I saw chicken, and beef, and tomato chicken, and an empty space in between.  I decided to scale the shelf and start digging.  I was perched on the end of my shopping cart, clutching tightly to the shelf with one hand, and digging with the other.  It was about this time that the shoppping cart slipped out from under my feet, and I was literaly dangling from the shelf.  So I decided that I could stand on the second to the bottom shelf and it might be easier.  I planted my feet, pulled myself up a little higher, and continued the search.  Only to find out that the empty space wasn't even where the vegetable boullion belonged.  Turns out that HEB didn't have any in stock.  Tonight, to Randall's.

I'm only making "half" of a Thanksgiving dinner this year - since a SchoolFriend of mine and I are splitting the job.  We're having it at her house (it's bigger), which also means I don't have to clean, or prepare for the onslaught of guests.  That's the best part.  I'll be making some breads, stuffing, cream of broccoli soup, and a dessert.  I'll start in on most of it later today - but I've already made my pumpkin ice cream for the dessert.  Feel free to follow my adventures photographically!

*I had 2 quarts of organic vegetable broth in my cart, for $2.73 each when I passed a display of regular HEB vegetable broth for $1.99.  At that time I couldn't remember the price of the organic broth, so I doubled back to check, realized it was more expensive and put it back on the shelf.  Then I began the climb up Mt. We-Don't-Have-Vegetable-Boullion, and forgot to triple back for the cheaper vegetable broth.

No comments: