Thursday, December 11, 2008

sure, we mostly might be able to

I had the tv on last night and it was either Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert who was on, with a guest on the show.  Whoever was on the tv made the point that our society is built on the "foundation of the marriage of a man to a woman".  And I'd like to simply start with, really?  Is it?  And if so - if there are people who think that this is what our society is built upon - is it not time to change that, is it really working out all that well for us?

A little over a month ago Barack Obama was named the next president in what will forever be known as "an historical event", however in my circle at least, it was an event that did not overshadow the devastating outcome of various states issues, such as Prop 8*.  I think one of the reasons I am so outraged by all of this controversy is because it seems like such a non-issue to me.  And the fact that it is such a major emotionally loaded issue for so many is frightening.  I can't envision what Earth-shatteringly horrific things might happen if all people were allowed to freely marry whomever they wanted.  I'm not even sure I understand how it would change any one's day-to-day life (I mean, except for the gays, I can see how it changes for them!)

My main problem is I don't see the government needing to be involved in this issue at all.  I don't see them as "protecting" anyone with laws banning gay marriage.  Isn't that what laws are for, in their simplest form, to protect someone - be it me, or you, or some big corporation, or what have you.  So exactly who is getting protected by making it illegal for all people to marry whomever they choose?  And if it's not about protecting someone - then what is it?  Is it a religious fight?  One about 'the children'?  Or is it just simple-minded fear?  If it's any one of these things - why does the government need to have a say in it.  How has it had a say in anything else related to these issues in the past?

Without going too far off the deep-end, which maybe I have already, I'd like to kick off the holiday season by asking good old Saint Nick to bring a little more open-mindedness tolerance to our society.  It's so clear to me that we are fighting a fight that has been fought so many times in the past.  Women fought for their rights, freedom, a voice, equality.  And the blacks had to go through their own fight, for rights, freedom, a voice, equality.  And now, there's a new group, with the same battle for rights, freedom, a voice, equality.  How many times will we, as a society, go through this battle before we realize that different is not bad.  Different is not undeserving.  Different is not scary.  Different does not need to be penalized.

*I'm hoping you've all already seen the Prop 8 musical, but if not - it's hilarious.

No comments: