Wednesday, July 27, 2011

On Texas

Four years ago today I left Boston and headed for Austin, and clearly I was terrified! If only I could go back and tell that past-me how wonderful it would all turn out, maybe she'd have spent less time feeling scared and sad. If only some future-me could come and tell me the same things right now. In 3 days I'll drive off and leave Austin behind, heading on to the next chapter of my life. I never dreamed how difficult it would be to leave Texas. I mean, come on y'all, it's T-E-X-A-S.

Four years here have seen everything I was nervous about for Texas come true, in wonderfully awesome ways. I was originally skeptical of people who were unnecessarily friendly, of people who moved a little bit slower than lightening fast. I was nervous about the prevalence of big trucks and guns. I held a disdain for boots and belt buckles. I cringed at country music and southern twang. But it is these things that are going to be the most difficult to leave. In other places, people wearing boots and buckles are dressing up. People moving slow and smiling unnecessarily are trying to pull one over on you. But here, these are reflections of honest, hard working people. Southern twang is the background music for Austin's daily grind, where the outdoor adventures meet city life. Austin is a city that sees the ability and possibility in everything. Where people work hard, but stop early to enjoy an outdoor concert and a beer. Where a restaurant is not complete without a stage for the band. Roofdecks, patios, and sidewalk tables are overflowing with hipsters, hippies, suits, and dogs alike. We've got big skies, bright lights, and the ability to feel like a community over things as far fetched as running, roller-derby, football, or rodeo. There's something about Austin, a vibe that transcends specific places and people, and ties the whole city together. And while I'm not nearly ready to go, graduate school has taught me that life doesn't wait for you to be ready it carries on anyway. I hope that I've breathed in enough Austin-ness to bring it with me on my next adventure, because it's a world without this southern twang that I'm not sure I want to exist in.

I wish that some future-me could show up right now, and tell me how in a few months I'll feel just as at home in Baltimore as I do in Austin, as I always will in Boston. Because part of me thinks maybe I've been greedy with the "i'm living in the greatest city in the world" thing. If you haven't been, please add Austin to the list of cities you owe it to yourself to visit.

No comments: